Simple to throw together for a lunch with friends, and with loads of room for improvisation and interpretation, this is a cool salad. I had cooked beetroots in the fridge, so used these but I would defo recommend using raw beets for a more vibrant colour and added texture.
On a separate but related note, we’ve been attempting to grow herbs and start a veggie patch in the back garden (thanks Eoin!) so it was an added bonus and luxury to be able to grab a bunch of fresh mint for this dish.
beetroot, apple and back-garden mint, brown rice salad.
1 apple – peeled and grated
3 raw beetroots – peeled and grated
3 scallions – chopped finely
2 cups cooked brown rice
handful of mint (about 1/2 cup chopped finely)
handful of parsley (about 1/3 cup chopped finely)
splash of olive oil
juice of 1 lime
toasted sesame seeds for garnish
2 cloves garlic- lightly panfried in olive oil
– cook brown rice per instructions
– peel and grate beetroot and apple and mix together in a large bowl. add in your chopped herbs and scallions. combine with lime juice and olive oil.
– toast your sesame seeds by tossing on a heated, heavy bottomed pan until they start to brown, you’ll know they’re ready when they start popping. pour into a dish and set aside.
– in a separate pan, heat a little oil and sauté 2 cloves of finely sliced garlic until golden, not black!
– once brown rice has cooled (if desired rinse with cold water to cool faster) combine with other ingredients including garlic.
– season as needed, scatter toasted sesame seeds on top, and serve with fresh herbs.