This recipe is a healthy twist on one of my favourite childhood treats – Rice Krispie squares.
Instead of Rice Krispies I have used quinoa pops, which is essentially roasted quinoa. Quinoa pops have an unusual yet delicious nutty taste and you can buy them in bulk on Amazon or make your own (I bought mine on Amazon). Quinoa, in general, is a superfood which offers numerous health benefits, such as helping to reduce blood pressure and cholesterol, and it is also a great source of protein.
This recipe is vegan-friendly and so simple to make.
- 1 1/2 cups of Medjool dates (around 270g), pitted
- 2 tbsps of Coconut Oil, melted
- 2 tbsps of Coconut milk, solid part only
- Cashew Butter
- Ground Almonds
- Chia Seeds
- 4 tbsps of water
- Blitz all of the ingredients in a blender until they are combined.
- Set the caramel aside while you melt 100-110g of coconut oil in a large saucepan. When the coconut oil is melted gradually add in 112g of quinoa pops and your caramel until the pops are covered in the caramel and oil.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and then pour the mixture in, making sure to fill every corner of the tray with the mixture and using a glass to flatten the mixture.
- Put in the freezer for 30 mins.
- 160g of dark chocolate (70%+ tend to be vegan-friendly – I used Vivani 92% dark chocolate)
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave or in a pyrex dish over hot water on the hob, whichever you prefer, while the quinoa pop mixture is in the freezer.
- After 30 mins, take the quinoa mixture out of the freezer and pour the melted chocolate on top – making sure every inch of the mixture is covered in chocolate.
- Put back in the freezer for at least an hour or overnight.
- Finally, ENJOY with some frozen goodness of your choice…we had vanilla and coconut!
Thanks Tara for this delicious recipe. For more of Tara’s recipes check out her blog Nuetrals and Nutrition.